Saturday, May 17, 2014

The psychology of the summit


1st summit this season- May 16th 2014
With my first summit of Mt Rainier yesterday, I began thinking about what it really takes to summit. I have climbed Rainier many times now, but my clients are experiencing it for the first time.
The guide team on the summit
It takes us three days of trudging uphill with a heavy pack, batting winds, cold and very little sleep to physically get to the summit. And on the final few hundred meters of uphill, when you can see the summit and it takes everything you have to make your feet move forward to make it to the top. It stops being physical and becomes a mental challenge.

I remember my first summit, and it’s very similar to winning a race for the first time. The euphoric feeling when you summit or cross the finish line. The feelings you have had, the unknown if you will make it, wondering if you have what it takes and the inner dialogue that goes on during the climb or race. Not everyone will win a race and not everyone will summit Mt
Rainier, but if you are fortunate enough to successfully do either, it is a feeling like nothing else. This is a genuine accomplishment that no one can ever take away from you.
I am lucky enough to have had many summits of Mt. Rainier. It is the joy, excitement and raw emotions my clients experience when they finally reach the summit that keeps me going, makes me want to keep guiding.
My first summit of mt Rainier ever,  May 2010!


Fueling with Hammer Gel on the summit!

1 comment:

Tamsyn said...

Hi! I love your blog, so I've nominated you for the Liebster Award :-) http://fatgirltoironman.co.uk/2014/05/26/liebster-love/