Sunday, March 31, 2013

Rest, Recovery and Refuel

Week 13 was my recovery week. After 7 weeks of building my endurance, improving efficiency, and just staying consistent with all my workouts it was time to dial it back a bit. I completed just as many workouts during the week, but they were all easy efforts "per say". During training and recovery its important to stay well hydrated, get enough sleep and eat well.
Food, eating and cooking, are some of my favorite things. My caloric intake is off the charts but I have to be mindfull what im putting into my body. A salad is great but it is not going to keep hunger at bay for long. My meals are planned out to fuel me for training, assist in my recovery, and keep me from snacking on the junk. I might make a chicken stir fry with rice, veggies and a light sauce, and have leftovers for my next meal.
I always keep some fruit near by especially at work. I can take 5 minutes to take in a banana, apple or fruit and nut bar and a glass of water and feel satisfied until my next meal. As appealing as that chocolate chip cookie or candy bar may be at 4pm, the extra sugar will effect my sleep and eventually my next workout. Don't get me wrong I never miss dessert, i am just careful when I eat the sweets.

 I am a fan of keeping training fun while taking it easy. I was able to get out on the mountain bike this week, rather than go for an easy road ride. Hitting the trail was exhilarating this time of year. Mud flying in my face, Trapper running by my side and enjoying the warmth of the sun on a spring morning.

Headwaters skiing. Moonlight Basin
During the week I was also able to get a nice day of spring skiing with some friends at Moonlight Basin Ski area. Conditions were not perfect but it was nice to be out with friends on one of the last days of resort skiing of the season. 

The snow in gone from the valley and it is warm most days, and the sun doesn't set until almost 8pm. The long warm days of summer are just around the corner, riding and running outside can be done with less and less winter gear and is more enjoyable by the day. Swimming in the river isn't too far off.

The next three weeks will each have a sport specific training goal. Starting Monday swimming is the main focus for the week with 6 swim workouts and 1 run and 1 bike, the following is running and the third is biking, finishing off with the Grizzly Sprint triathlon in Missoula MT on April 20th. Rolling right into another recovery week. Timing couldn't be better.

 Check back for race results, all the fun spring in Montana brings and more meal and gear tips. 




No comments: