Sunday, July 11, 2010

Summer Time in Ashford, WA


Its about time to start blogging again.

I am living in Ashford Washington, Just on the Southwest border on Mt rainier National Park. I work for International Mountain guides, check us out on the web! Im living at headquarters in the guide lounge, which is really just the space above the office with 4 bunk beds, a couple couches a kitchen and bathroom. Im only here when im not on the mountain so....not very often. Life in Ashford is like any small town, three restaurants, one bar, a general store post office and no cell phone service. So i apologize but keeping in touch isnt the easiest..

I have been very busy so far this season. I have been on eight climbs thus far. Our standard route is the Disappointment cleaver. this is a three day climb. I have also gone on the Emmons route on the North east side of the mountain.

On days that I am not on the mountain guiding, I send down at HQ working in the shop. It is a tradition that first year guides "pay their due's" and work in town occasionally. we pack food and gear for outgoing trips, mow lawns, and other tasks that need to be taken care of. I have to say there are def some perks, packing food for instance...i always have good meals on my trips!

So far this season i have made it to the summit once. Weather has been a huge factor but also as a new guide i get the role of turning around with clients if they dont want to or can not continue up. I am heading back up the mountain Tuesday for another 3-day climb! more to come soon...


No comments: