Monday, June 15, 2015

Taper Time for Ironman CDA

It has been one heck of a training cycle. 22 weeks and counting plus 4 weeks of base training over the winter... and in less than 2 weeks I will toe the line at Ironman Coeur d'Alene to see what Im made of.

It has been a busy 6 months. Training 8-20 hours a week, working 20-50 hours a week and going to Nursing school. Not to mention executing the largest fundraiser I have ever participated in: The Ironman for Anna fundraiser. I am honored, humbled and excited to represent such an amazing organization on race day!  chick here to Donate:

https://www.crowdrise.com/2015CoeurdAlene/fundraiser/jessicatapp
My fundraising jar at work!

 I have neglected my husband and many household duties over the last 6 months.. Josh Forgive me! It will all be worth it to cross that finish line and call myself an IronWoman!

Over the last few months I have rode some beautiful Montana roads, made some new friends and had the support of all my friends and family. I Couldn't have done it without everyone in my life! So Thanks!

Tenspoon 10K with Julie
Riding along the Missouri with Meghan on a beautiful Sunday

first ever 100 mile ride with Lisa... Yes we have Matching Bikes
In the last 2 weeks of the process I find myself hungry, tired and lacking motivation, all the signs of what is called Ironman brain and the cumulation of many weeks of training and balancing life with the end goal in sight. 



I have run in the cold and snow, biked in the rain and on the trainer while other were sleeping, I have been to the pool at ungodly hours before school/work to get in my training sessions and I have run after work when all I have wanted to do was sit and watch TV.  I have cried over too many dished in the sink and the dog not being fed..(sorry josh). I have taken unexpected rest days and I have eaten McDonalds because I was short on time.

These are my realities and I'm not ashamed of them. This process has been difficult mentally and physically. It has been a journey. Someone once said that the journey is more important than the destination, and as excited as I am to cross that finish line on Sunday June 28th, (hopefully), the process of pushing myself beyond my limits has been amazing, exciting, terrifying, and exhausting but I would do it again in a heart beat. 

In my final weeks before the race i am trying to stay positive and not let doubt, sorrow, pain, exhaustion and nervous energy creep in. I am fueling with lots of healthy food options and just trying to make it to the start line healthy both mentally and physically. I'm stretching daily (should have been all-along but ya know....hindsight is 20/20)...taking epsom Salt soaks 3x week and rolling on my foam roller ever night. 
Cold rainy bike rides

Long runs on Trail

Open water swim training

what a grocery shop looks like...4-5days worth


Besides eating well, training smart I also make sure I get 8+ hours of sleep a night, drink plenty of water, take my Hammer Tissue Rejuvenator daily. I try and live in the moment, even when the moment sucks!

I try not to share my true race goals on social media, but this time I will!

I was originally hoping for a top 5 in my age group and a spot in Kona.... That reality is gone but the goal of finishing in 12-13 hours isn't. 
I hope to have fun, stop for food/water, high five all the volunteers and spectators, live in the moment and enjoy the entire day! 
Just finishing my first Ironman will be a huge accomplishment and I can't wait to try. 


Race day: Sunday June 28th: Bib Number 120
stay tuned for updates...or follow me on the live athlete tracker: 


Thanks for Reading and following my journey. It's Been Fun! 
Racing Grizzly Sprint in Missoula 4/18/15:  2nd place AG, 9th OA:Photo credit: Joe Stone



Instagram: trigirl406
Twiter: culvie26
Facebook: Jess Culver-Tapp
Sponsors: Soas, Hammer Nutrition






No comments: